Sunday, April 12, 2009

Grocery Shopping, Food, and more Cultural Differences,

Dear Grocery Shoppers.

Sprechen sie English? Hopefully, because I have no clue what I am doing. I moved into an apartment yesterday, and had to go grocery shopping, which turned into being more nerve racking than Jewel-Osco, Until now I have been eating out at currywurst, doner kabab, and pretzel stands, because I was in a hostel(these are all excellent foods. This has been working out because I only have to say the name of the food I want, and Danke schoen, and i can go about enjoying my merry self. However this gets expensive, and this weekend is easter holiday, so stores are closed on sunday and monday. So thus I was forced to grocery shop. Now maybe I am not used to going into this particular grocery store, but I dont believe that is the case. I had a hell of a time. I bought meat, but in Germany, the germans just throw shit in their meat. Iv seen, and eaten meat with carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower in own slice. Although I think I bought ham and salami, but with the language gap its quite possible i bought dog , or rat.(just kidding)(hopefully).  Besides the meat, I bought bread and some other essentials, but I am sure i looked ridiculous walking around this small grocery store doing maybe 8 to 9 laps and only coming out with less than ten items. Oh well maybe life is about looking a little ridiculous. 
But I havent talked about food recently and I feel a little ashamed. So.... let me start this off.  

Currywurst and fries with mayonnaise. This food equals a heart attack I would be proud of. Currywurst is sausage chopped up sprinkled with curry seasoning and drenched in ketchup. Delicious! Definitely on my top 5 hot dog list. Its exactly like you would imagine, and it just works, with a nice mesh of curry and sausage and ketchup. WOW! I have noticed most people like to get fries with hot mayonnaise with this. Mostly because they don't feel fat enough. And once again mayonnaise and fries are exactly what you would expect, and it works. I have enjoyed this tasty snack more than once, and I believe it goes well with a Berliner Pilsner. 

Doner Kabab!!!! Top five favorite sandwiches, watch out. This is a sandwich that will blow you out of the water (if your in a boat, or swimming or something). This sandwich is turkish, and I am excited because I am now living in turkish town. I may come back fat. This sandwich starts out with a flat bread, and consists of shaved lamb, chopped lettuce cabbage, onions, cucumber, and tomatoes, topped with a red sauce i wouldn't know because i don't speak german. But this warm snack goes good at anytime, from early in the morning to late at night. And besides the lamb, it has to be healthy. But ill be honest it doesn't taste that way. I would recommend to anyone to try a Doner Kabab sometime soon, its a sandwich that America is mourning not having much of. And at the price of 2 euros you can never go wrong.  

Schnitzel. Ok wow. I had a turkey Schnitzel and it was amazing,  but this is a German treat that once again America is missing out on. I am going to try and come back knowing how to make them, because, its simple that it need to become part of my diet. I am not quite sure how or what it all consists of, but it had lignin berries on top and I enjoyed every bite. I'm sure I will eat more before I get done, and I can explain more later. 
So thats just a small portion of the food over here that is good. Please let me know if you know of any german food you think I should try and Ill give it a go. 

And last but not least cultural differences. Which I believe this may be a running segment in my blog for a while. But this difference is good and made me laugh. In my hostel before I moved out, I had a conversation with the bartender at mid-day, about why Chris Brown hit Rhianna. He could not understand why rappers do bad things when they have so much money. I ended up trying to explain to him that most rappers are thugs and that they are products of American ghettos. He couldn' t understand that these people were never taught good habits, and so when they get a lot of money their old habits sometimes don't leave them. He just kept telling me that when he gets a lot of money he will just chill. I smiled and remembered that Germans dont have problems with things such as guns, and the ghettos are cake walks compared to American ghettos. I live very close to the turkish ghetto, but I am still very very welcome and all most all of the turkish people I see smile and say hello. So far Germany has been pleasant-vile and everyone is very friendly. Either way I had to laugh that, in Germany, American rap is really popular and they don't understand what it really comes out of.  

But I have posted a link to my photos on the left hand side, so please check them out, I will post them as I have time, and will try to add captions as much as possible. 
Thanks and Tschüss (thats bye)

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you are alive and full of delicious meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have searched high and low for a good schnitzel place in grand rapids and k'zoo to no avail. Jager Schnitzel has to be my favorite of all the schnitzels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pete, i hear if you want good schnitzel, your best bet i chicago, i hear there is a german area of town that has 10 to 15 german restaurants really close, serving german beers and everything else, im not sure where it is, but i know that its there. And if i find a jager schnitzel ill have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear of all of your eating adventures in Germany, I should expect no less from you. always with your food food food. hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. trust me i have done a few laps around a grocery store in spain. Only they have large legs of cured ham sitting everwhere. Anyways good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, kababs. The red sauce is (usually) some kind of spice. At least in Italy, they just called it spice. And see if you can find a place that puts French Fries in their kebabs. When I was abroad, a lot of places did that, and it was even better. Also: not healthy. We looked it up. One kebab can be anywhere from 500-2000 calories. Be careful. Heart attacks happen.

    ReplyDelete