Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bureaucracy

Dear Line Waiters,

I am cutting in front of you, because I am sick and tired of dealing with waiting. You would think coming to another country for only four months, would be easy, but this isn't so. I am almost done dealing with all of this bureaucracy, but Ill give you a little insight into all of the lines I had to wait in. When I got off my plane I first had to wait in line for my bags, and then there was the line for the bus. And on my way to the hostel with all my bags there was the line for the currywurst. (Well Ok I waited until after I put my bags away.) But the real trouble started after I got settled in and had that very first currywurst. My first mission was to get a cell phone, because I couldnt get anywhere with out a cell phone. And then the apartment search started, which took way to long, but I found a place after hundreds of calls to people who wanted someone longer or just didnt speak english. Then once I got a place my troubles with the government began. First was waving the German health insurance, which was quite easy once I found the door to the place which was practically down an allee. Next was my trip to the bank to get an account, so I could receive German welcome money. This was also quite easy once I found the only German bank teller that has ever tried to speak English. I think after our conversation, I signed a mortgage but I am not quite sure because it was al in German. Then I had my papers for registering my address, but it was all in German, so I sat at my computer and used apple translator for a couple of hours, so I could write down, that I am single, and tell them my birth-date is correct. But apparently I forgot to translate the part that said I needed my passport and not just a copy. Because I went to the location, and waited 2 hours to sit down with this nice man that didn't speak any English. But when he couldn't find my passport he called over the english speaking lady with one eye, to come yell at me and tell me that I needed my passport. So I went all the way back home to grab my passport wait in line again, to have the same guy look at my passport, for maybe half a second and stamp the papers that were still on his desk. Then tomorrow I have to go get my residency permit, and bring a stack of papers, stating that I have a cell phone, and an address, and a passport, and health insurance, and that my address is registered, and that I am a human being and not some other creature. Its all a little ridiculous, but the worst part is that none of these locations are even remotely close to each other. AND... Germans in the government apparently only work for three hours a week, because most of the places are only open for short periods of time. But I am almost through with it all, and wont have to worry about anything else except for not getting arrested. But at least if I get arrested everyone in the city will know who I am, and will have three copies of my picture. I think the only word for this is a phrase popularized by my grandfather. GODDAMN


3 comments:

  1. well, welcome.
    not only you had to go through lines and lines
    hours and hours.

    it has made people mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're patience astounds me...you're like a skinny Buddha. You'll appreciate your time there even more after lame life consuming events such as those.
    bee tee doubleyou: Ellie has her big interview today for the job in chicago! wish her luck, and enjoy a toast "with" us this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I heard "Church" today and it wasn't quite the same without you there to fill in the more colorful parts.

    ReplyDelete