Wednesday, March 11, 2009

sexy dogs

Dear followers of encased meat,

I love a good hot dog. I love hot dogs so much that my first ear in college I dedicated a whole semester to making art related to the hot dog. I have a way of thinking that my ideas at the time are absolutely brilliant. In reflection, making hot dog art was a little less than brilliant. But I still believe it is a valid subject, because many people would say that art is about beauty, and well.... hot dogs are a beautiful thing.
While in Chicago this last weekend I indulged in eating Chicago style hot dogs. I traveled to my favorite hot dog place Fast Track on the corner of Lake and Desplaines. Their hot dogs are absolutely magnificent with the right amount of ingredients; a poppy seed bun,  Vienna Beef dog, kosher pickle, relish, mustard, sport peppers, tomato slices, and celery salt. I have been to many of the hot dog hot spots around Chicago and I believe that this is by far the best hot dog in the city and their fries aren't bad either. But one may ask what makes their hot dogs so much better than any other in the city and I really cant explain it past they use the best materials. In terms of the feel of the place I would say that it is relatively clean with a nice mix of culture. The man behind the counter always refers to his customers as "My Friend" in what I believe may be a Greek accent and when you sit down at one of their long benches there is a good possibility you may be squeezed between a crack addict, and yuppie mom who is feeding her child in a stroller.  The sense of strange community makes this place a winner and if your in or planning to visit Chicago, I would recommend stopping in for a hot dog. And if for some strange reason you didn't enjoy it, your only down $2.25.
I would say the Fast Tack is my favorite hot dog place, however there are some other pretty good hot dog stands out there that I have tried. 
Treat Street in Kalamazoo, Michigan would be my second favorite, located in the plaza on the corner of Oakland and White road. This place is especially good because of the buns. Their buns are made specially by Mckenzies bakery, and then toasted like a grilled cheese. The hot dog meat is nothing special but the bun is so good it throws this hot dog up to #2. Combine this hot dog with their signature Lime Soda and the sides of chips and 5 jelly beans, and you have yourself a tasty lunch or dinner.  The atmosphere is a nice 1950s soda fountain stand feel, with a mural surrounding the eating area.
#3 would have to be Hot Dougs in Chicago on the corner of California and Roscoe. This gourmet hot dog stand is a local hotspot. The hot dogs are a little pricey but you can get pretty much any type of meat you could ever wish for including rattlesnake, and wild boar. Their also seasoned just right with sauces that compliment the meat you are eating. Check out their website to get a feel for the kind of dogs they serve. Its a real treat in there and Doug the owner is always there to great you. 
#4 An old time favorite of mine would have to be the Rootbeer stand at multiple locations around Kalamazoo. Their hot dogs are nothing more than cheap meat and cheap buns, but somehow it just works. But this place is not complete with out going on a hot summer day, drinking their awesome good root-beer in tall glass mugs, and ogling the beautiful car hops as they serve you.  Somehow this place will remain a treat to me until I am old and fat from eating hot dogs my entire life. 
I also enjoy New York style dogs equipped with  sour kraut. But really I just enjoy hot dogs in general so much because every city has their own version of the hot dog. I almost feel that if I want to truly experience the culture of a city it lies within their version of the hot dog. I hear Los Angeles has a hot dog rapped in bacon, and Baltimore apparently deep fries their dogs. But my friends, I am going to Berlin soon and I imagine the Germans will reinvent for me the word "sausage". I'll be sure to let you know!!!

Please let me know if there are any hot dogs you believe are so good that you feel I must try, and then let me know what makes them soooo good.

4 comments:

  1. Yesterdog in Eastown. I haven't found a better hotdog yet. The original yesterdog has chili, shredded onion and pickle, catsup, and mustard and is glorious. The cheddar dog (chili and cheese) is a great standby if you're not big on onion and pickle. For about $2 a dog you usually end up eating 3 or 4. The building itself is a classic old hotdog shop filled with old coke signs and the like. Make sure you bring a yesterdog veteran with you so they can tell you the proper way to order your hotdog. Without that knowledge you will be yelled at by the staff and customers for going too slow. Just one more part of the yesterdog experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet man thanks, next time im up in GR ill have to go with either you or jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the hot dog not an art in itself?
    I'll have to second peter, i think the abundance of how cheap everything is that goes into making their dogs somehow defies laws of taste and delivers a one of a kind delight. Next weekend if you can make it up, we'll make it happen. How did we manage to miss out on giving that LA dog a try? were they just outrageously expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was just hard to find a stand when we both had money and were both hungry

    ReplyDelete