Sunday, April 19, 2009

Improvment, and thinking in Broken German

Dear German Speakers,

I can finally think in German. But its sort of like being mentally challenged (no offense) because I can only think in a select amount of vocabulary and I am always searching for the right word. But really, its ok because 90% of the time I am think of currywurst, or Nutella and then these words are just constantly repeated in my head. But I think Nutella is Italian in origin so maybe Im also thinking in Italian.
Ok so enough for the bad jokes. But I am improving, and I just had lunch with my roommate and his parents, and I followed most of the conversation quite well. We had a typical spanish dish with shrimp, calamari, and mussels, with rice. So much for a typical German experience. But it was very nice, my roommate is half spanish, and the conversation was almost completely in German, and a little in Spanish and a little in English. Somehow though we spoke of American relations and the job Obama is doing(excellent). It was a good time, and I tried to follow quite closely. And I have set a goal that by the end of two months, I want to be able to speak good enough German to be able to be sociable and charming again. Maybe this is a stretch but I'll get there. 
In other news I head to Dresden next weekend, and I start in my studio this Tuesday. So I will start making more work and have more to talk about then what I ate for lunch and struggling my way through a city. 
Anyway Prost. (cheers)
 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much german. But I do remember a song from elementary school that is called, in English, "Yes, this is a book shelf" it is a very beautiful song...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been told that you know you are fluent in a language when you begin to dream in that language. Looking forward to seeing how this experience impacts your work. I can already see a giant nutella painting a la Andy Warhall.

    ReplyDelete