Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sandwiches Sweet Sandwiches

Dear fellow sandwich lovers,

Last week I posted something on my Facebook page which included my five favorite sandwiches. The topic of sandwiches is very important to me, and usually on first dates this will be one of my topics of discussion. I have found that if a girl is absolutely repulsed by this topic, then obviously she is not the girl for me. Well maybe,  either way I am here today to discuss sandwiches a little bit more in depth, and testing out the waters to see if this might be a nice running blog topic. 
To speak clearly about sandwiches, I feel that it is important to first define these wonderful creations. This is one of the hardest things to define, so, I must make some rules. It must be edible, Me wedged in between two people would not be a sandwich, even though it is sometimes referred to as a "sexy sandwich". A sandwich also must be made with the best of ingredients, there is many objects that look like sandwiches but are made with shitty materials, like the cheapest meats and cheeses you can find, these are commonly referred to as sadwiches. A sandwich must also have at least on slice of bread and in most cases two slices or more. Twelve slices of bread with stuff in between is still a sandwich. This leads me to the fact that a sandwich must have something in between, butter does not count, sorry, but if your eating butter sandwiches your life has no worth, and you should think about ending things. In my definition a sandwich cannot have encased meat. As sad as this sounds I think its for the best, I have to put limits on sandwiches somewhere, and hot-dogs, and brats are their own wonderful food group, they just don't need to be involved(but this is really debatable). Things like the Monte Cristo is very much a sandwich, as well as hamburgers, and even italian beef they all constitute as part of the sandwich family. Now in defining a sandwich it is important to understand that there is always exceptions to the rule, and if you have any questions I would recommend saying something. I have put together my five favorite sandwiches, and a list of sandwiches that just missed that list, as well as some sandwiches that look very tempting to try.
Five Favorite not listed in order(because when they are this good there is no order)
Pastrami sandwich at Katz deli in New York
Grilled pb&j, anywhere.
Tineka Sandwich at Lulas Cafe in Chicago made with spicy peanut butter and cucumbers. 
Crawfish Poboy, Mississippi.
Torta Langua on a hot day in the rundown part of downtown LA.

Short list
A well seasoned hamburger, with excellent blue cheese, thin  slices of tomato and avocado, and fresh basil, on a brioche roll.
BLT, with real MAYO( Heilmans is not MAYO and shame on you for thinking so, and Miracle Wip is just a sin.)
Falafel at Sultans in Chicago.

A sandwiches that i would like to try
Fools Gold, apparently Elvis Preselys favorite sandwich, made with a loaf of italian bread sliced lengthwise, with a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jelly and a packet of bacon, with the bread scooped out inside to fit all the ingredients.


If you want some great reading with a short bit based on sandwiches, Woody Allen writes about the origins of the sandwich in his book Getting Even, possibly one of the most ridiculous/ hilarious books I have ever read, this might give you some insight into my love for the food. 

Please comment back on some of your favorite sandwiches, I am always to try and find new sandwiches that will blow my mind. If you like this Ill write more on the subject talking about elements that can make a mediocre sandwich a great sandwich. 

3 comments:

  1. Sandwiches are the perfect food. One of the best sandwiches I've ever had has to be a Philly cheesesteak sandwich with sliced beef tenderloin, grilled onions and mushrooms, and a combination of provolone and havarti cheese melted over the meat and "veggies." Truly sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This leads me to the fact that a sandwich must have something in between, butter does not count, sorry, but if your eating butter sandwiches your life has no worth, and you should think about ending things."

    Sheer and complete brilliance, my friend. I guffawed.
    Don't forget that you now find delight in Jimmy John's #13 on wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taneka at does Lula kicks ass.

    I do enjoy a lightly toasted LaBriola baguette with Lindt 85% dark chocolate snapped in half left to melt from the heat left over from the toasting. Served open-face, of course.

    Avocado and thinly sliced tomatoes are always a staple.

    You must try the falafel sandwich at Taim in West Village in New York. It's so good you'll wish you were on that sleeping pill where you drive a car and eat while asleep so you can justify driving all the way to NYC for Middle-Eastern food.

    Keep the sandwich talk open and on-going...pllllease.

    ReplyDelete