Thursday, March 26, 2009

Travel Preparations

Dear Haters,

I am becoming one of you. What ever happened to the Jack Kerouac style travel, where there is no real plans involved in travel past the final destination. Its extremely hard to live as a ""free" artist these days. It would be nice to say, that one day I just decided to go to Berlin and then the next day I happened to arrive, by whatever means possible. No instead going to Berlin takes hours of preparations; health insurance, phones, passports, visas, hostels, baggage accommodations, notifying my bank accounts, long term living arrangements that are furnished. Its a little ridiculous.  Not to mention the many emails I have sent out to get things squared away. But I am getting close, I will be flying out in a little over a week and cant wait to get there. Then finally my blog will have gone global. I know thats what all my readers have been waiting for. But the great thing about leaving from a place you have spent a long time in, is that every one wants to get together on a more regular basis, and hang out one last time before you leave. Which I love because I enjoy my friends, but it usually involves eating (which frankly I love more)(jk)(kinda). 
Case in point yesterday. Now that I have a blog that I write about food on a somewhat regular basis, friends want me to go to their favorite eating hotspots. Which is great because they quickly become my favorite eating hotspots. A friend wanted to get together with me before I left and ended up taking me out to Just Good Food Deli and Market, in downtown Kalamazoo located in the basement of the Rose Street Market. This place is one of Kalamazoo's lesser known fresh deli's. Now it doesn't match the old T E Murchs but, the food is still quite good an possibly the best deli Kalamazoo has to offer. The underlying word of this place is FRESH. Everything there tastes like it was just grown and picked the day before. I ended up getting a vegetarian sandwich with mozzarella cheese, tomato, fresh pesto, and pine-nuts, on two crispy slices of bread. It was delightful. It was served with some chips that were a little less that exciting but I can forgive that. My friend ordered a pasta salad and a fruit and veggie salad that was also excellent. The place is open and airy feeling for being in a basement, and wasn't to busy when I was in there. But then who again eats at 3:30. The sandwich is definitely not a top five contender but its worth wondering in if your looking for some lighter fresh food that will satisfy your healthy tooth. So friends,  check it, and if you know of any other real fresh delis I must try, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can't read anything. You only have the most rudimentary sense of how things work; you can't even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.

    ReplyDelete