Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bicycling Predictions and more Sandwich Talk

Dear fellow cycling aficionados, (fatso's please scroll down) 

The 2009 Amgen Tour of California, has concluded and Levi Leipheimer comes out victorious. Now this is exciting for me, because I feel as if this is going to be a good indicator for the Tour de France. So here is my predictions for the 2009 Tour de France. Astana. Astana. Astana. They are too good, and no team comes close to matching the talent they have. Besides Astana I am confident to say that Mark Cavendish will win the sprinters jersey, because Tom Boonen looks old and tired compared to Cavendish. So the only hope any of the teams have of getting a top 5 finishing spot over Contador, Armstrong, Leipheimer, Kloden, and Papovich is ... doping, or crossing their fingers that the tour just wont let team Astana in. Personally I will be rooting for Christian Vandevelde and team Garmin Chipotle, because he is my Chicago boy, who trains for the big mountains by riding into the wind in Chicago. I think he is classy. This in mind I also think that about Levi Leipheimer. But team Astana is like the Yankees, and its just more fun to root for the underdog. So now that I have predicted it there is no reason to watch... well except for all the upsets and the attacks on the mountains. 
I am planning a trip to see a mountain stage in the tour this year, if anyone wants to join me as I hitch hike my way up the mountain your more than welcome. 

now Dear Fat Asses (this includes me),
I spent the weekend at the University of Michigan, and had quite a few thrills, one of these thrills, was going to Zingermans, in which I ate the Lisa C's Boisterous Brisket. This sandwich had come highly recommended by many websites and so I had to try it in order to  stay loyal to my readers who only read my blog for the sandwich talk. So here is my review of this sandwich. 
I would say it made it into the top 15 sandwiches that I have ever had (this is not an actual list). It was good and maybe even great but definetly not out of this world. The meat was the most tender, juicy meat I have ever laid my teeth into, HOWEVER it was on a toasted seeded hot dog bun that was the size of a regular hot-dog bun. I guess this was fine, but as a sandwich maker it would make sense to me, that if I had invented the most tasty meat in the entire world, I might also want to develop a pretty tasty bun to accompany it. Im talking bakery brioche bun or something that is supposed to compliment the meat better.  I feel as for the brisket the hot dog bun was a quick decision in order to skimp on the amount of meat they put on my sandwich. This is shameful. AND this place charged $15 for most of their sandwiches. When food is this expensive I should get a sandwich that I cant fit in my mouth. In the case of the brisket I feel as if I should have at least been made full by it, and I wasn't by any means. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll go back and order 3, just so I can have a lunch that I can enjoy and not have to be distracted by the exuberant price or the hunger that I experience at lunch time, or.... the wait. 15 mins!!! is too long to have to wait for a sandwich, no matter how much of a hot spot it is. A sandwich is a thing of delight, and I get so worked up anticipating my food, that I shouldn't have to have a heart attack just waiting for a sandwich. So, if you happen to be in Ann Arbor and are feeling extremely rich and sort of hungry, and have a good hour or so to kill by all means I would recommend going into Zingermans and getting the Lisa C's Boisterous Brisket because I give this sandwich a A-.

So keep eating and keep posting, I have enjoyed the sandwich ideas thus far and will have to try some. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree, the outcome of the tour lies in the decision to let Astana ride or not. I also second that Cavendish will take the green lest he be injured, god forbid. Will the man with the yellow helmet ride for Contador, or will he go for the jersey to match? Despite the fact that they ride for the same team, i would love to see these two great riders head to head on the final crest of Ventoux. (Contador placed first in his most recent tour in Europe thanks to an impressive TT time...looks as if he's turned a weakness into a strength) '09 will be a year to remember for cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think that, contador or lance will attack, while leipheimer has the jersey, leaving kloden papovich and horner to protect the yellow jersey. doing exactly what carlos sastra did when frank shleck was in yellow last year. But I truly believe that there is a good chance that we could see an all astana podium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see Cav in green at the end of July, but last year he dropped out when the hills got steep. His explosive finishes at the '08 tour were incredible and I have no doubt that he will blow us away again this year. But the green jersey is still a bit of a stretch for Cav. Hushovd, Boonen, and McEwen are tour vets who know what it takes to finish the tour.

    The best sandwich in Ann Arbor has to be the Major Burger from Quickie Burger on the corner of packard and state. Their secret sauce is like liquid awesome mixed with slices of heaven.

    ReplyDelete