Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Minimalist Pack Rats

Dear collectors of stuff,

I am secretly one of you, but I try so hard not to be. At heart all I want to be is a minimalist, but as soon as I purge myself of all the things I own I get an irresistible itch to replace the emptiness I have created in my world . This time the object that creates worth in my life is art, but in the past it has been baseball cards, lincoln logs, and native american dream catchers. Part of me feels a certain level of sophistication and joy with my new objects that I collect, but still I wonder that if at some point these art objects will be pushed aside as crap, for a new found love of fleas, coffee mugs, and rare rabbit feet from indigenous tribes.

I began wondering this as I was preparing to leave home and travel back to Chicago. The whole week I spent my time weeding through objects from my childhood and early teens. Objects like vintage army men, Briar horses, cribs I had once slept in, lincoln logs, Legos, trains, K'nexs, Beanie Babies, baseball cards, books and more books, clothes, and even boxes and bags that once housed or carried the memorable keepsakes I just mentioned. Each one of these objects at some point were placed neatly in appropriate bins in order to accrue value and dust, so they could survive the countless garage sales and trash bins in which some of the cheaper and less memorable objects had succeeded to. As I went through these bins I began to ask my self a series of questions. Mostly stemming from, "Why do I still need this crap!"

My quickest answer to this question was, "its a part of me!" But then I began to wonder how much a part of me these objects are if I dont look at them until the next large weed-out. Some of the items I keep around because I still secretly enjoy them but have no time to look at them (baseball cards and toy trains). But other items I just shake my head at why I wanted them so badly, and then why I decided to keep them around for such a long time. Such as Beanie Babies.

In the mid to late 90s I and millions of other children and adults grabbed up beanie babies like it was water before a draught. Each one of us believed that we were going to save these items and make a fortune on them after about thirty years. What everyone forgot to take in was that, with so many people saving these objects, it was going to take a hell of a lot longer than 30 years to make a stuffed wiener dog rare. But none the less I believed myself to be a true collector by going to only the finest of the hallmark stores and purchasing my princess Diana bear just as it hit the shelf at 6 in the morning. I even made sure to go to the care of putting the tags in plastic sleeves. And as any true collector would have done at the end of the day of playing with the beanie babies that I had spilt Spaghetti O's and Chef Boyardee on, I threw them into a large crate containing the other highly valued stuffed objects, and put them in a closet out of site. I could now spend my energy focusing on all the money I would make from the over night interest those over sized colored cotton balls were bound to receive. As I had once intended I never got around to paying for my college tuition with my profits as a successful investor. But I did manage in this last weed-out to put the beanie babies into a charity pile, so future investors would be able to pride themselves with the challenges of maintaining a fleet of highly prized objects.

Now that Im older I dont know if I could be so quickly drawn into a fad such as Beanie Babies. But in some way, art doesnt seem so different. Art is an object in which I enjoy looking at, spending time with, and thinking about. Hopefully, it will accrue interest and I can it give away my highly prized objects to museums so that the same objects that inspired thought in me will inspire thought in millions of others. But even with a justified answer on why I collect, there still seems to be only one real justification for collecting. Collecting gives us worth, and worth is an inescapable feeling. Wether it be art, a flea collection, baseball cards, or even books, we need something to show off or sit in front of so we can pat ourselves on the back and admire all the hard work we have done.... Ok so its not hard work but acquiring is still a job, and thus its still work.

Non the less at a certain point we have acquired too much worth and the only thing to do is a little spring cleaning. Finally we can get that crap we have collected over the years out, and make room for the real treasures we have our eyes on. But as an artist and a creator of objects I sometimes lose all hope. This idea that one day someone can switch from collecting my prized object to collecting fleas, makes me never want to make anything ever again. But believing someone will stop collecting fleas, put them away in a box to collect dust, and have my art give someone a renewed sense of worth, keeps me going for several lifetimes. I AM FINALLY BETTER THAN THE FLEAS!!!

As for now I will continue to collect art and it will be the only thing I will show on my walls because I believe it inspires thought. But if at some point Im ready to stop thinking and start living you better believe Im going to be looking for the nearest indigenous rabbit foot outlet store with my check book out.

Readers please let me know what you collect and why you collect it, and if sometimes you feel a little ridiculous looking at ancient Mayan masks and wondering how in the hell your going to pay rent this month.

3 comments:

  1. I too developed the necessity to collect and preserve such items as beanie babies and various athletically oriented cards, with hopes that someday they would gain substantial enough worth for me to make a small fortune. However, i remember the day, not only that i found i didn't have the will to embark on such a patient endeavor, but of those items i truly wished to preserve, there would be no way i could bear to part with them. Regardless of if those items still represent me today, they remind of my childhood, certainly something worth holding on to. the years when i had no other care in the world aside from the sweet anticipation of the taste of stale bubble gum that came as a prize in a fresh pack of cards.
    During my most recent period of reminiscing (spring cleaning) i happened upon the pog collection of my youth as well as my massive box of marbles and accompanying marble maze/race track thing-a-majig. It was a fantastic afternoon, and after an hour or two of erecting the marble race track and playing a solo game of pogs, i returned them to their dusty corner and to reality promptly leaving for a beer and a bike ride, having made no further progress in reducing the clutter in my old room.
    All of these items we keep help us hold on to the innocence of our youth they enable us to travel through time, even if just for a moment, so we can experience that care free feeling once more. And the things we collect today will hold that same majestic ability to bend time and space when we're 80 and shitting ourselves.
    If you need me, i'll be in my study admiring my rocks, escaping the reality that investing in depends is what i should really be thinking about.
    .....Do rocks rank higher than fleas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the wonderful comment jim, and i think rocks rank much higher than fleas, I myself have a few rocks that wont be leaving my hands any time soon. And even though I sound apathetic about the objects I once played with I agree whole heartedly that this helps us hold our innocence, and its why I have to take my army men out every spring cleaning and pretend just once more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too believe that the stuff I've kept over the years are an effort to preserve my youth. Unlike you, Ryan, I have a very difficult time throwing anything out. Evidence of this can be found in the storage room in my basement and various boxes scattered throughout closets and corners. It is an unfortunate family trait that I inherited from my grandfather and one that is extremely hard to break. My wife has tried her hardest to get me to part with the massive collection of junk to no avail. There is no reason for me to keep chemistry notebooks from high school, yet I have all of them as well as calculus and physics notebooks in a box along with writing journals and every paper I've ever written from freshman year in high school to super senior year in college. Will I ever use them again? No. But I keep them because maybe someday they will come in handy and when I sift through that box I can sit and remember all the good times I had in DeLong's college writing class and Granlund's AP Chem class.
    And I've still got my rock collection that I started in kindergarten. I think I'll go find them.

    ReplyDelete