Monday, August 24, 2009

Libraries

Dear fans of coffee shops,

Go there, and chat it up all you want, bring your kids to terrorize every inch of the building, and play the games on your computer with the sound all the way up, but please, please, don't come to my library.
Ok well, you can come, but be a little quieter. See folks Im just plain frustrated with going to libraries and not having the experience I could have. Libraries at one time were one of the places that I could go and read in absolute silence, and I didn't have to worry about buying anything in order to use the space or get information. I could go and write papers and do research or read books and get away from all the distractions of television, facebook and petty things such as who's dating who, or who got married most recently. It served as a relief from the coffee shops in which you go and pretend like your reading but in reality your watching and listening to everyone else's life. It was a place in which culture wasn't played out but rather taken in, and this was a wonderful thing. But as my life has become more about getting away from the distractions I get further and further upset with libraries, and more in tune with their realities.

Lately my experience with libraries has been less than perfect to say the least. And anymore I look at going into libraries and view my time there as a cultural experience. (A cultural experience is my way of saying Im dissatisfied with the people but hope to look at them in a positive way). But libraries should have standards and they aren't being kept and I would like to take this time to remind people of proper library etiquette based on bad experiences I have had.

1. The library is not a coffee house, and not a cafe, if you want to have a conversation please step outside.(This goes for cell phone users as well)
2. I am not an jerk for telling you to shut up or take your phone call outside.
3. If you are a librarian please take your personal phone calls in the back. I dont want to hear about how your third child's father wont pay child support.
4. Pick up you feet when you walk. This goes for everywhere, really.
5. The computers are not for playing games, or checking facebook, especially with the volume on.
6. Computers are not the only thing a library holds, you might be interested in the things that sit on the shelves as well.
7. Children under the age of 15 belong in the children's section, book shelfs are not jungle gyms.
8. I am not an asshole for pointing your child towards the children section. Your just a bad parent, and you shouldn't swear in front of them.
9. The library is not a dating service, stop hitting on the librarians, and holding up the checkout line... but mostly the latter (Iv been known to hit a librarian or two).
10. And for the librarians, its your job to help. My taxes pay for it. Don't act like you have something better to do when you leave. And flatter me a little bit when I flirt with you.

Also I have thought about some things libraries can do to hand back the culture that my tax dollars pay for.
Such as invest in music and movies that blockbuster or best buy dont carry. Movies from the criterion collection would be much better than big mamas house, or the family matters season 4 box set.
And wipe the dust off the two computers designated for searching for books, to at least make the appearance people still read.
Maybe we can designate the library computers be used for only 15 minutes unless for research, Its frustrating when you have to wait in line to look up a book while you watch a 49 year old homeless man play tetris.

I love the library, and I want to continue to love libraries which can be used as a haven of peace, that inspire knowledge and learning. But as of right now I might as well have my haven of peace be the grocery store outdoor furniture department. (Its nice there and no one will bother you or make you buy a coffee.)
So readers please let me know of your library problems or your worst library stories. (I like responses a lot but Im not hearing anything, give me a reason to keep writing these.)

And Kafka on the Shore is a book by Haruki Murakami it has some good things to say about libraries and how ones spiritual makeup is put together. Check it out at your local library.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the state of our nation's libraries have gone done the shitter. there seems to be very little respect for silence in a place that is stereotyped by "shhs" and whispers. You've focused your rant on the key issue, computers. When I worked in the children's section of the comstock library we had just recently bought computers. Until then kids would come down, find books, and read at the tables or work on a puzzle. We had toys and such for the illiterate kids, but mostly it was a very quiet place. With the computer came games which created noise. Noise begets noise and in no time the place was an absolute madhouse.

    Additionally, I think the inclusion of popular DVD titles has sullied our once pristine houses of knowledge and culture. Bring back the obscure documentaries and PBS specials, bring back the classic films that actually matter. I shouldn't have to sift through White Chicks and what happens in vegas just to find a biography on WInston Churchill. Great post. I think I'll go visit my library tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite your hard earned tax dollars paying his wages, the librian doesn't have to flatter you when you flirt with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By far, one of the most discouraging feelings is going into a library and it having people littered on every square inch. People hovering as you're trying to spontaneously search for any book that may land on your lap and feeling rushed to get out of their way.
    And then finding a nice book and searching for a secluded spot to kick back and read it for a while and all seats are filled with kids or girls looking through glamour magazines.
    It saddens me greatly and it ruins my day, much like it did today.
    This entry reminded me that people do still go to libraries for the old fashioned reason: to find books so thank you.

    ReplyDelete