Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year

Dear 2010,

2010 brings another year of hopes and dreams, some that will fail miserably and some that will succeed past any of our wildest dreams. I have mixed feeling on the New Year and what to make of it all.

Looking back at 2009 I can say with a smile across my face that all in all it was a pretty good year. It started off with a new President in office and ended with the passing of a health care bill. Personally I feel as if I accomplished a lot. I never imagined some of the success that came my way. It was a year of planning and building, a slow and relaxing year in which I had the time to figure life out. As I step through the door of 2010 I’m a little sad to see 2009 go, but I imagine ten will be just as good nine. I’m not much of a person of resolutions because I generally feel they are goals doomed from the start.

As I sat last night watching the ball drop I thought to myself of the metaphoric passing of time. To be honest it scared the shit out of me. Life seems like a race against the clock and the decision of what to do yearly becomes a daunting task. I think often of Vladimir from Waiting for Godot.

Let us not waste our time in idle discourse! Let us do something, while we have the chance! It is not every day that we are needed. Not indeed that we personally are needed. Others would meet the case equally well, if not better. To all mankind they were addressed, those cries for help still ringing in our ears! But at this place, at this moment of time, all mankind is us, whether we like it or not. Let us make the most of it, before it is too late! Let us represent worthily for once the foul brood to which a cruel fate consigned us! What do you say? It is true that when with folded arms we weigh the pros and cons we are no less a credit to our species…

With this in mind I ask myself not what my resolutions are but rather how can I represent worthily. To take on all of mankind would be pointless, that seems so 2011. Instead I can work diligently and spend every moment in the full embrace of life. To define any further seems a resolution. Yes, I too have goals but this New Year I’ll keep those to my self.

I ask you to spend 2010 the same way I will. Whether you will be having babies, or getting married, or just trying to finish school do it with certain determinism. Know that everything you do has great effect upon the world. Don’t think about this as a weight but rather a gift in which great change can be created through you.

So readers really what I’m asking for is response. I write for you. This year my blog will be taking on a little change. My posts within the New Year are going to continue as they did in 2009. They are shorter from now on consisting of five to six hundred words. Occasionally I will write a longer post but nothing will go beyond 1000 words. As well I will be posting more media. I will work diligently to give you fifty-two posts within the next year, tell more stories and to possibly stop bitching so much. I ask you the frequent reader to respond and let me know of your presence from time to time. I hope for my posts to be story forums, I’m interested in how your life relates to mine. And please if you enjoy one of the posts pass it on to a friend. Maybe a posting on Sandwiches can represent worthily the foul brood to which a cruel fate consigned us better than you think.

So, let me know what the New Year means to you and what is in store for 2010, and please don’t tell me January gym time.

Happy New Year your faithful writer,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment